Hive The Pillbug
Players 2 (Best with 2)
Playing Time 20 Mins
REQUIRES MAIN HIVE GAME TO PLAY
Hive: The Pillbug is a new pair of tiles that can be added to Hive. The pillbug moves like the queen bee—one space at a time—but it also has a special ability that it may use instead of moving. This ability allows the pillbug to move an adjacent unstacked piece (whether friendly or enemy) two spaces: up onto the pillbug itself, then down into another empty space adjacent to itself. Some exceptions for this ability:
- The Pillbug may not move the piece most recently moved by the opponent.
- The Pillbug may not move any piece in a stack of pieces.
- The Pillbug may not move a piece if it splits the hive (violating the One Hive Rule).
- The Pillbug may not move a piece through a too-narrow gap of stacked pieces (violating the Freedom to Move Rule).
- Any piece moved by the Pillbug may not be moved at all (directly or via the Pillbug action) on the next player's turn.
The mosquito can mimic either the movement or special ability of the Pillbug, even when the Pillbug it is touching has been rendered immobile by another pillbug.
Hive is a highly addictive strategic game for two players that is not restricted by a board and can be played anywhere on any flat surface. Hive is made up of twenty two pieces, eleven black and eleven white, resembling a variety of creatures each with a unique way of moving.
With no setting up to do, the game begins when the first piece is placed down. As the subsequent pieces are placed this forms a pattern that becomes the playing surface (the pieces themselves become the board). Unlike other such games, the pieces are never eliminated and not all have to be played. The object of the game is to totally surround your opponent's queen, while at the same time trying to block your opponent from doing likewise to your queen. The player to totally surround his opponent's queen wins the game.
AWARDS & HONORS
2007 Juego del Año Finalist
2007 Golden Geek Best 2-Player Board Game Nominee
2006 Spiel der Spiele Hit für Zwei Recommended
2006 Mensa Select Winner
2003 International Gamers Award - General Strategy: Two-players